Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Matthew's 15 months checkup

Today, I took Matthew to the doctor's for his 15 months check-up. Since I missed an appointment with Dr. Sorgea yesterday, I took him to a nurse. Well, here are his measurements.

Height: 31 3/4 inches (80th percentile)

Weight: 20 lbs (30th percentile)

Well, as you can see, Matthew only weighs 20 lbs which is a concern. He is officially underweight for his height and age. The nurse was so concerned that she asked me what I fed him. We went over his diet thoroughly, then she told me not to give him water for a while, instead give him more milk and juices. She also told me to give him food with higher calories, such as cereal other than cheerios, wheat thin crackers instead of ritz, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, etc. Ahh, if only Matthew would eat more. He has a small appetite so he eats a little bit, then he's done. It is a little frustrating. I wish he would eat a lot like other babies do. But I will try to give him food every couple hours and see what happens. He has been at the same weight for over six months so we are a little worried. The nurse told me to come in again in six weeks for a weight check-up.

If you're a mother and your baby is at a normal weight or chunky, you need to tell me how you get your baby to eat more. And what do you feed him/her? I have six weeks to chunk up my baby. Details, please!!!

4 comments:

Marie said...

Rosalee eats and eats and eats and is still just barely in the 40th percentile for weight. (That's the best she's been in since birth.) If he was in the 3rd percentile I'd get worried, but I think 30th is fine. Some people have to balance out those fatties!! :) Rosalee has issues with dairy products, but one thing the doctor said was to add butter to her food. So if you make mashed potatoes use whole milk and add more butter than you'd prefer to eat. Also give him juice without watering it down. I do that for Rosalee and the doctor said not to anymore. Other than that just keep feeding him well balanced meals and I think he'll be fine. Since he's started walking now it'll be harder to keep weight on for the first bit. Doctors... ugh, they annoy me.

Valerie said...

Hylan loves hot dogs. We just cut them up little. They are pretty fattening, and they have protein. He also started eating balogna. He walks around the house sometimes eating a banana. Try offering food to him more often. He might be a grazer.....eats more often during the day but not very much at a time.

Aaron Kinser said...

I'm not a mother, but I would not worry too much about how much Matthew eats. In my opinion doctors are way too concerned about how heavy children are. Unless he is losing weight or sick, he's fine. Feed him a wide variety of food and allow him to eat as much as he wants. So long as he is growing, developing, and healthy, he's doing fine. Remember, there are kids in every percentile from top to bottom.

Sook said...

Seriously, the doctors make me worry all the time! :-)

Post a Comment