Sunday, October 26, 2008

Things we missed about America

Although our trip to Korea was a blast, there were things that we missed about America. These were the things we missed the most.

1. Our bed! Okay, when Sean and I got married, we bought the most comfortable bed in the world. It was on sale so we got the best deal on it. It's soft and comfy. Many Koreans don't sleep on beds. They sleep on the floor. My mom used to have beds but got rid of all of them when she moved into her new apartment. So Sean and I slept on the floor the whole week we were there. I guess I had gotten so used to sleeping on bed my whole life... my back was killing me! Yesterday, I slept on our bed and my back feels so much better.

2. Shower curtain and giant big towels! I've lived in America for about 7 years now so I had forgotten that showers curtains and big towels aren't very common in Korea. A lot of Koreans have wet floors in bathrooms. The towels are small as hand towels and so thin. I needed two of those towels to dry myself each time I got out of shower. I also missed not having to push the shower button on thermostat to make the water hot. One day, I forgot to do that so took a cold shower on a rainy day. It wasn't so pleasant.

3. Carseat! Carseats aren't required in Korea so we carried Matt in our hands whenever we were driving. It sounds scary I know but everything was okay. But having to carry Matt all the time wasn't so easy. I think I have more muscles now.

4. Huggies diapers! My goodness, Korean diapers suck!! They didn't really fit Matt well. They weren't very soft either. I only took some diapers from America thinking that diapers in Korea would be all the same. But they weren't. Huggies in Korea were different too. Why? I don't know.

5. Bigger roads, better drivers. Okay, it might sound stereotypical but it's true. Asians are not good drivers. Well, they are good drivers. It's just that they drive more aggressively because of the narrow road situation. They don't like to yield. They are not very patient. Sean and I thought we were going to die on the road or something. I was so upset and embarrassed about drivers not stopping at crosswalks, not even for little kids. Instead, they would honk at pedestrians who tried to walk across crosswalks. How lame!

These were the things that we missed about our home in America. I guess these little things are the ones that we miss the most when we are away from home.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you went to Korea!! LUCKY! Kelly and I have been wanting to make a trip over there sometime. We might after we graduate. Kelly misses it so much!

Post a Comment