Monday, April 20, 2009

Go Miss California!



Well, I don't watch beauty pageants of any sorts, really, but I read an article on Yahoo News and am very impressed with the courage that this lady took on stage.

This is an article about what happened on that stage last night -

"Last night Kristen Dalton of North Carolina was named Miss USA 2009, but no one really cares. The real highlight of the event was Carrie Prejean, Miss California, being questioned by judge Perez Hilton about gay marriage. Here is the transcript of the exchange:

PEREZ: Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?

CARRIE: I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage and, you know what, in my country and my family I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anyone out there but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be between a man and a woman.

She clearly came down on the side of "opposite marriage," basically saying "no offense but your lifestyle isn't valid." I'm guessing Perez didn't give her his vote, but Carrie still managed to finish as first runner up in the pageant."

Later on that night, Perez blogged about the incident and called Miss California "a dumb bitch". I would call her just the opposite. I think she is very smart, honest, and even brave. She probably could've lied about what she believed in and got Perez's vote and won the crown. But you know what, she stood up for what she believed in and didn't lie. And the question that Miss North Carolina got wasn't nearly as controversial as Miss California's, but oh well, Perez is dumb for calling Miss California dumb. I am so glad that someone out there agrees with what I believe in and stands up for what she believes in. Go Miss California!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, that was a great story to hear. Who would have even guessed Miss California would have agreed with us?

Lildonbro said...

I would have voted for her, just based on the fact that it takes a lot of courage to stand up for what you believe in, and I don't really know what those pageants are really all about, but I think that strength of character is paramount, and she showed strength of character...and I'm sure she wants world peace too :)

And to Perez, he must be some kind of egotisical to assume that just because someone does not share the same answer to an OPINION question means that they are dumb, because if that is the case the world is full of dumb 'b's. Darn them for thinking for themselves.

Post a Comment