Sunday, September 28, 2008

Is Matthew a picky eater?


I am a little concerned because Matthew does not like to eat other than breastmilk. I know it takes time for some babies to move on to solid food but Matthew does not like anything! He started out with rice cereal and he was alright with it though he was never a fan of it. But now, we've been trying to get him started with jar food but he always closes his mouth shut whenever he sees the spoon coming towards him. We tried to give him sweet food like peaches, yogurt flavor, apple, etc but he doesn't like those either. Pretty much, Sean and I have to put on a circus to make him smile big so that we can put a little bit of food into his mouth. But it's not that easy to do that every time we try to feed him solid food. Maybe he will grow out of it. I've been talking to other moms about it and they said that their babies were okay with solid food, especially with sweets. Hmm, well, Matt has a Dr's visit this coming Tuesday, so I will talk to her about it. But if you've got any suggestions for me, feel free to write a note for me because every little tip helps!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Benjamin wouldn't eat rice cereal unless it was mixed with the breastmilk. Have you tried that? When I weened him from breastmilk, I had to mix the cereal with formula AND the jarred fruit of some sort. I also found a bottle that was able to hold the cereal and put it in there and he was able to hold it himself. I am not sure if those ideas help, but they sure helped me! Good luck! Maybe he just isn't ready for solid food....but I would say as long as he isn't losing weight, you should be fine....guess you might still want to ask the doctor anyway.

Anonymous said...

Our pediatrician said that alot of breastfed babies are really picky until they are about a year and not to worry about it as long as they are healthy. Just keep trying to get him to eat. Xander would shut his mouth and turn away. We pretty much skipped baby food and went right to grown up food with him. Try "real" food. He might respond better because he sees you and Sean eating it. Mashed potatoes. Squished green peas. He's probably ready and it won't hurt him. Hylan is eating baby crackers and puffs. Matt might like those too.

Post a Comment