Thursday, January 15, 2009

Looking back...

Tomorrow, I will have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints exactly for 10 years. I was baptized in Korea on January 16th, 1999, just before I turned 18. Unfortunately I don't remember what exactly happened minute by minute but I do still remember the way I felt that day.

I always believed in God, even when I didn't have any religion. I went to a Catholic school for three years where I learned about Jesus Christ and his crucifixion. I loved the Catholic religion. I prayed before I ate even though I didn't really understand how to pray. But it broke my heart every time I watched the same video about Jesus' crucifixion every month. It was uneasy for me to watch the pain and suffering that Christ went through. I used to go to the chapel at school to meditate and pray.

I remember praying every night before bed. My prayers back then were very simple but sincere. I didn't exactly follow the prayer patterns that our church teaches. I just let it all out, whatever was on my mind. I loved to pray. I used to pray for a happy family. When that didn't work out, I stopped praying. I spent years crying over my parents unhappy marriage, all the abuse, and alcohol, pitying myself. I was not a happy person at all.

That's when I met the missionaries. Two of the greatest missionaries helped me understand the true meaning of happiness and how I could change myself, my attitude towards life. When I learned about Christ's atonement (I had not truly understood this until the missionaries explained it to me.), I nearly cried. When I read about Alma's affliction, I knew that I wasn't alone and that there was a way for me to overcome my negative feelings towards my family. That is when my journey of healing began.

About a month after I started meeting with the missionaries, I was baptized to be a member of the church. It was a very special day for me. My heart was filled with joy and love... the kind of love that I had never felt before. Not too long after I was baptized, I got back in touch with my mom (I hadn't talked to my mom in years). I love my mom. I am nothing without her. I am so glad that I didn't stay angry at her. It took me longer to get along with my dad. But I am almost there. I love him so much. I am so grateful for the changes that he has made in his life. He's a different person now. And my brother, he graduated from college in computer graphic design and works at a company that pays him to do what he loves doing. He is a very talented artist.

Joining the church completely changed my life. I don't know where I would be without the gospel. I truly appreciate all the great changes and blessings that it has brought in to my life. Heavenly Father has always been there for me through good and hard times. Sometimes I feel like I don't even deserve the blessings I receive from Him. People say being a member of the church is hard. But I think being a member of the church has made everything a little easier for me. I know we face trials and oppositions in our lives because of our beliefs but I know we become stronger and happier as we follow the commandments of God.

The last 10 years have been the greatest years of my life. I had an opportunity to serve the Lord as a missionary in Mesa, Arizona. I met some of the most amazing people there. I will never forget the feelings I felt during some of discussions and the visitors' center tours. God was there with me, leading me to His children. I also had an opportunity to go to the greatest school ever, Brigham Young University-Idaho. I learned not only Sociology but also the way of life I should live for the rest of my life. I met and married the most amazing guy, Sean, there. I used to pray for a kind, thoughtful, and cheerful husband. Well, Sean is all those things. I love him dearly so very much. Now, we have a beautiful and somewhat crazy baby boy in my life. I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. I think I understand when people say "I could die for my children".

I know I am not perfect. There are so many attributes that I need to acquire throughout my life. That's the beauty of the gospel. It makes you want to be a better person everyday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, joining the church did completely change your life. Aren't you glad you joined when you did, rather than now (or in 10 more years)? It's just laid the foundation for so many big decisions you've made that affect you in forever.

Sure glad you joined!

Anonymous said...

What a great testimony. I was baptised when pregnant with our oldest almost 24 years ago. I can't imagine how our life would be today without the gospel. Aren't we blessed to have had such great missionaries come into our lives just when we needed them.

Post a Comment